Disappointing Seagulls shot down by Saints

PUBLISHED: 16:56 14 March 2015 | UPDATED: 15:31 18 March 2015

Sam Corcoran in action against Weston-super-Mare. Picture: Leigh Page

Sam Corcoran in action against Weston-super-Mare. Picture: Leigh Page


St Albans City eased their relegation fears with a commanding win over Weston-super-Mare at Clarence Park.

Sam Corcoran scored a goal of the season contender and John Frendo netted his 15th of the season as the Saints ended their seven game winless streak in the Vanarama Conference South.

City have been under pressure after picking up two wins in 14 games but they boosted their chances of survival with an impressive win.

While taking nothing away from the Saints, the main question after the game will be where has this performance been?

City’s last win came against Concord Rangers on January 17 when new signings Michael Malcolm and Jamal Lowe terrorised the opposition and Sam Corcoran pulled the strings. This win, albeit against poor opposition, had many of the same ingredients.

New signing Simon Thomas, a former Chesham United striker, provided an excellent compliment to Frendo on his debut but it was Corcoran who opened the scoring with a superb strike.

James Comley outpaced Pierce Mitchell down the right and teed up Corcoran on the edge of the box. His first-time shot curled into the far top corner leaving Weston goalkeeper Luke Parnell with no chance. Clarence Park breathed a sigh of releif.

The second won’t go alongside the first in the list of goal of the season contenders but it was just, if not more, important. The visitors failed to clear Lee Chappell’s long throw in and Frendo slotted it into the bottom corner.

The rest of the half was one-way traffic as City poured forward, albeit without reward. Jamal Lowe, in particular, was magnificent and played with a swagger that came from knowing he had the beating of Weston’s defence.

The Saints’ attacking threat lessened in the second half and they were guilty of wasting good counter-attacks but the result was never in doubt as Weston failed to test Joe Welch. His opposite number, Purnell, was much busier but the third goal never came.

Jamie Lucas, the Seagulls’ main threat, should have set up a nervous final 10 minutes but, after rounding Welch, he scuffed his shot and City’s goalkeeper was able to recover. He then had the ball in the net but the assistant’s flag was raised.

City came into the game needing the win and they achieved it in style.


St Albans City: Welch, Hall, Chappell, Kaloczi, Locke, Beckles, Corcoran (Wales - 70), Comley (D Green - 70) , Frendo, Thomas, Lowe (J Green - 65). Subs: Malcolm, D Green, Wales, Keenleyside.

Weston-super-Mare: Purnell, Mitchell (Ash - 45), Llewellyn (Brown - 70), Edge, Tilson, Fortune, McClennan (King - 68), Cane, Lucas, Grubb, Watkins. Subs: Buxton, Sneddon-Coombes.

Attendance: 363

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser