City relegate Bedworth United with 3-0 win at Clarence Park

PUBLISHED: 18:47 20 April 2013 | UPDATED: 09:14 23 April 2013

Elliot Bailey, Greg Ngoyi and Chris Henry celebrate City's second goal. Picture by Leigh Page

Elliot Bailey, Greg Ngoyi and Chris Henry celebrate City's second goal. Picture by Leigh Page


AN inspired performance from substitute Chris Henry saw Saints past Bedworth United at Clarence Park.

Henry came on at 1-0 with 30 minutes left and changed a game that had become stale. The speedy winger brought a breath of fresh air, running at defenders and causing chaos for Bedworth’s right back, Rikki Bains.

Henry added City’s second, making the game comfortable before Greg Ngoyi added a third, relegating Bedworth to Division One of the Evo-Stik Southern League.

City were a shadow of the terrible side that lost to Bedford Town on Tuesday, firing out of the blocks with a slick passing game that had Bedworth chasing shadows.

The breakthrough came in the ninth minute when a sweeping ball from James Comley found Layne Eadie in a crossing position on the left wing. His ball into the box found Elliot Bailey at the front post who headed out of Andrew Kemp’s reach.

Saints lost their way after the goal, allowing Bedworth back into the game, and they almost equalised in the 26th minute. A cross-cum-shot from Martin Hutchcox looped over Nick Jupp and hit the bar and the post before falling to Maichel Piggon but his shot was blocked by Ryan Wharton.

For all their possession Bedworth never looked like scoring and City went into the break a goal to the good.

City started the second half as they ended the first, struggling to keep the ball on the ground and play the passing football joint managers Graham Golds and James Gray have installed.

It took Henry’s introduction, along with James Kaloczi, in the 58th minute to swing the momentum back in the home side’s favour. After an unsuccessful first run at Bains, Henry turned the right back inside out before firing in at the near post in the 71st minute.

City’s top scorer, Ngoyi, added the third in the last minute. The striker held off and turned a defender on the halfway line before barring down on goal and tucking the ball into the net.

City are back in action on Thursday night at Clarence Park against Bishop’s Stortford in the Herts Charity Cup final, kick-off 7.45pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser