Bedford come out on top of terrible encounter

PUBLISHED: 13:28 17 April 2013 | UPDATED: 11:04 18 April 2013

A scuffle broke out during Bedford's 2-0 win against St Albans City. Picture by Bob Walkley

A scuffle broke out during Bedford's 2-0 win against St Albans City. Picture by Bob Walkley


“WE weren’t good enough” was all James Gray had to say after Saints lost 2-0 Bedford Town.

City’s joint boss was unstandably blunt in his summary of a game that barely resembled football.

Saints were keen to keep the ball on the ground but were unable to break through a well organised, physical Bedford defence. The same could not be said for the hosts who resorted to long balls over the top, which were miss-placed and thwarted time after time.

The only highlight of the game was Bedford’s second goal, which deserved to be scored in a much better fixture.

On the counter attack Joel Gyasi picked up the ball in his own half and ran at Saints’ defence. As the back four retreated Gyasi squared the ball to Michael Built who curled the ball into the top corner from 25 yards. Nick Jupp could do nothing.

Gray admitted his side didn’t deserve anything better.

“Over the last four or five weeks we have found there is a soft underbelly to this side and not enough players that want to fight for us,” he said.

“Once the season finishes I will be active to figure out how to conquer this league.”

City went into the game on the back on a shambolic 4-3 loss against league strugglers Chippenham Town but they looked to have put it behind them as they kept possession and carved out chances.

Bedford were not without their own opportunities though as Michael Built should have scored when put through one-on-one with Jupp but the goalkeeper came out on top.

Saints’ best chance of the half fell to Darren Locke from a James Comley cross but he blazed his shot high and wide from close range.

Then just as the half seemed destined to end goalless Bedford netted their first. Steve Kinniburgh twisted his way into the box before setting up Callum Lewis who coolly clipped the ball past Jupp.

The goal deflated City and their second half play descended into a series of miss-placed passes and feeble chances.

A scuffle between James Comley and Lewis ignited some ill-feeling towards the sides but Bedford had the last laugh as Built sealed the points and gave his side the slimmest of chances of reaching the play-offs.

Saints are back in action at Clarence Park on Saturday against Bedworth United, 3pm kick-off.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser