St Albans City Youth U11 Girls North claim County Cup after gripping final
- Credit: Archant
It was a fitting end to a fine season for the St Albans City Youth U11 Girls North as they beat a formidable Hitchin Belles side 2-0 to clinch a gripping Hertfordshire County Cup final.
It was a closely-contested match with many shots on target and some great goalkeeping at both ends of the pitch.
Both goals were scored in the first half with St Albans’ first coming after a flowing counter attack and ending with Cora Baylis wrong-footing the keeper and sneaking the ball in at the near post.
It was the same player who forced a corner towards the end of the half and from it Hannah Pope got the second with a great header.
Hitchin pressed and attacked in the second half but a combination of great goalkeeping and resolute defending ensured that St Albans lifted the cup.
You may also want to watch:
Player of the match was goalkeeper Ruby Littlechild who managed a clean sheet through some heroic saves.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 3 Shortages crisis hits district
- 4 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Forging ahead for hospice care
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads