St Albans City Youth U11 Girls North claim County Cup after gripping final
- Credit: Archant
It was a fitting end to a fine season for the St Albans City Youth U11 Girls North as they beat a formidable Hitchin Belles side 2-0 to clinch a gripping Hertfordshire County Cup final.
It was a closely-contested match with many shots on target and some great goalkeeping at both ends of the pitch.
Both goals were scored in the first half with St Albans’ first coming after a flowing counter attack and ending with Cora Baylis wrong-footing the keeper and sneaking the ball in at the near post.
It was the same player who forced a corner towards the end of the half and from it Hannah Pope got the second with a great header.
Hitchin pressed and attacked in the second half but a combination of great goalkeeping and resolute defending ensured that St Albans lifted the cup.
You may also want to watch:
Player of the match was goalkeeper Ruby Littlechild who managed a clean sheet through some heroic saves.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills