St Albans City claim comfortable win over Wealdstone in latest pre-season friendly
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City continued their pre-season campaign with a 4-0 victory against Wealdstone.
The Stones were National League South champions last season and despite a cagey opening where neither side threatened to score, it turned into a comfortable success.
Saints’ main threat looked to be down the right-hand side with Munashe Sundire causing the defenders a headache with his pace and power.
And he used those attributes to beat the full-back and roll a brilliant ball into the path of Zane Banton who finished well after 25 minutes.
That lead was doubled less than two minutes later. Sundire himself was the scorer with a powerful run into the box to effortlessly finish off a Mitchell Weiss ball into the far corner.
You may also want to watch:
Just before the break City were awarded a penalty after a foul on Shaun Jeffers and the forward dusted himself down and calmly slotted the ball home from 12 yards to make it three.
St Albans came out of the blocks firing in the second half and Kryan Wiltshire made it four on 50 minutes, twisting and turning before hitting a thunderous strike into the roof of the net.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Wealdstone had a chance to pull one 10 minutes after with a penalty of their own after a foul on Dan Wishart by Tom Bender.
However, a poor penalty from Ross Lafayette was saved by Michael Johnson, making it four clean sheets on the bounce in pre-season.