St Albans City stung by The Bees
ST ALBANS City suffered a 10-2 pre-season hammering by League Two’s Barnet at Clarence Park this afternoon.
David Howell’s Saints were second best all afternoon and were unable to stem the flow of goals from The Bees stinging attack.
The visitors took the lead in the second minute as Mark Byrne rattled home a fierce effort from 25 yards.
Mauro Vilhete volleyed in soon after before Ricky Holmes had a penalty saved by City keeper Alex Tokarczyk but headed in the rebound.
A rare attack did see the hosts pull one back as centre-half Andrew Fagan headed home Richard Graham’s free-kick from the left.
You may also want to watch:
New Barnet signing Jon Nurse then showed his experience in front of goal with two predatory finishes to take the score to 5-1.
Ollie Lee smashed past Tokarczyk just before the break to make it 6-1 at half-time.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 4 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 5 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 9 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 10 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
Expected substitutions took place during the interval and it was one of those, Andy Yiadom, who converted Barnet’s seventh.
Winger Anthony Edgar buried two nicely converted chances as the tally ticked to 9-1.
Last season’s top scorer for St Albans, Sakho Bakare, came off the bench as a trialist for Barnet and headed home to take the away side’s score to 10.
The home fans in the 404-strong crowd did have a little to cheer late on as Danny Spendlove smashed home from the edge of the box.
Following such a thumping, City boss Howell will be demanding much, much more from his troops on Monday night as they host Blue Square Bet Premier side Luton Town.