St Albans City sign Richard Graham ahead of Barnet friendly
FORMER Barnet and QPR midfielder Richard Graham has signed for St Albans City ahead of the pre-season clash between The Bees and The Saints tomorrow (Saturday).
Saints boss David Howell’s squad is now taking shape nicely going into an attractive programme of pre-season friendlies, beginning this weekend with League Two’s Barnet visiting Clarence Park.
Graham, 32, has signed Southern League forms and will bring experience and a winning mentality to City, having helped Dartford to promotion to the Blue Square Premier last season.
Graham, who impressed for City in his first-half appearance against the Belarus Olympic team last weekend in creating the goal for Simon Martin that put Saints 1-0 up, began his career with Queens Park Rangers, making two Football League appearances.
He went on to play for Chesham United, Barnet - helping them back into the Football League - Dagenham and Redbridge and Eastleigh.
You may also want to watch:
He made 22 appearances for Dartford in Blue Square South, leaving them at the end of the season as he was unable to commit to the Premier full-time due to his work.
Graham will join striker Lewis Toomey as new faces whom Saints supporters get to see for the first time against Barnet and Blue Square Premier favourites Luton Town at home on Monday.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
They join the strong group of players who have re-signed that the club is delighted to welcome back following their excellent second half of the season last time around.
Goalkeeper and last season’s Player of the Year Nick Jupp returns, along with defenders Chris Seeby, James Gray, Moussa Diarra, Matt Cutchey and Anton Blackwood.
In midfield, Sean Shields, Micah Hyde, David Ijaha and Ryan Watts have also agreed terms while Simon Martin is back up front.
Howell is continuing his search for reinforcements of the right quality for a promotion push and will also be looking to several of last season’s outstanding youth team to make the step up to the Evo-Stik Premier.
“Things are shaping up well,” said Howell. “We have made some good quality additions to the squad and retained a good nucleus from last season.
“I am still tracking a few players who I think will strengthen us and I also want to see some of our talented young players coming through.
“Several exciting new triallists will be on view over over these high-calibre five home games we have in pre-season before the league matches kick off on August 18th.
“Looking at it overall, we are a million miles further on from this time last year and I hope supporters will come down to Clarence Park in numbers over the next few weeks for these attractive friendlies to see that for themselves.”