St Albans City secure semi-final spot
ST ALBANS City are through to the semi-final of the Herts Charity Cup after goals from James Gray, Lewis Toomey and Gareth Risbridger saw them down Royston Town 3-2 on Saturday.
David Howell’s City side led 2-0 at the break after Gray’s header and then Toomey’s effort put the Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division outfit in pole position against their Division One Central hosts.
Midfielder Risbridger hit City’s third of the afternoon on 52 minutes as it looked like The Saints were cruising to victory.
The Crows had different ideas though as brothers Martin and Matt Standen both struck in the last 20 minutes, however the visitors took the victory and will play Potters Bar Town or Ware in the semi-final.
Elsewhere, a St Albans City XI were well-beaten 5-0 in a friendly against Ryman League Division One North’s Cheshunt.
You may also want to watch:
The Saints kick-off their league campaign on Saturday away to Banbury United.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development