St Albans City’s relegation fears continue as Gosport take the spoils

Graeme Montgomery had a couple of chances early on. Photo: LEIGH PAGE

Graeme Montgomery had a couple of chances early on. Photo: LEIGH PAGE - Credit: Archant

St Albans’ relegation fears grew a little more as Gosport took all three points at Clarence Park

George Barker had put Gosport into a half-time lead and it was extended on the hour by Tom Dunford.

Ryan Woodford compounded St Albans’ misery late on before Kevin Krans got little more than a consolation.

It was a result which was not expected early on as Saints had started really brightly.

Graeme Montgomery had a shot deflected wide in the first 40 seconds and from the series of corners that followed the ball hit the back of the net but was disallowed for offside.

Jordan Sebright had to make a number of saves early on.

He saved with his legs from Montgomery before holding on to a shot from Harry Crawford that was straight at him.

Most Read

But Gosport, who had arrived late due to traffic problems on the M25, slowly got back into it as Saints naturally slowed down.

And the visitors took the lead on 34 minutes, although it had the City fans screaming for offside.

It was close as Andy Robinson set Barker clear but the finish was calm and collected beyond Joe Welch.

The Saints keeper had previously kept out Robinson and Justin Bennett but the half finished with City pushing again.

However, there was more than a little sense of desperation as City went in search of a valuable equaliser.

The second half began in the same vein.

Too often City rushed the pass or resorted to a long ball with Borough more than happy to contain and attack on the break.

And it was from such an attack that they extended their lead.

Barker slipped it to Dunford in a central position 22 yards from goal and his shot looped off a defender over Welch and in off the underside of the bar.

It sparked a mini-revival in City but despite a spell of pressure they were unable to test Sebright.

And as the game reached its conclusion it was Gosport who got the killer goal

Acorner from the right found Woodford arriving at pace to head the third.

Sebright was finally called into action four minutes from time, making an outstanding one-handed save from Louie Theophanous.

The scramble was cleared off the line but the danger was only over when James Comley’s shot bounced off the post and wide.

City finally broke their deadlock on 90 minutes when Krans’ shot flew in with the aid of a slight deflection.

Unfortunately it was too little, too late.

St Albans: Welch, Nunn, Chappell, Green, Martin, Locke, Montgomery (Gibson 73), Comley, Theophanous, Crawford (Krans 69), Meade (Sow 77)

Subs not used: Corcoran, Thomas

Gosport: Sebright, Cuthbertson, Williams, Carter, Poate, Woodford, Dunford (Ramsey 82), Robinson (May 82), Vine (Wort 82), Bennett, Barker

Subs not used: White, Wheeler

Attendence: 258