St Albans City’s Leigh Page named unsung hero at national awards
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City’s secretary Leigh Page has scooped a national award for his efforts at Clarence Park.
That particular role is just the latest in a long list of voluntary work he has done at the club he has supported since childhood.
And now in recognition he has won the unsung hero prize at the National Game Awards in association with Buildbase.
And although receiving the award at Stamford Bridge filled him with immense pride, Page insisted that the award was not just for himself but for the plethora of other volunteers through the non-league teams who follow in his footsteps.
"There are thousands of people out there like me and it could have been any one of us up here today," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"The recognition is great but I don't do it for any recognition I do it for the love of the club.
"A lot of these awards are obvious because they rely on playing outcomes but actually this one is for all the volunteers out there because without them, at this level, football doesn't work."
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Among his roles are the that of the club photographer and ground safety officer.
"The only thing I have done differently this season is taken up the club secretary role full-time along with all my other bits and pieces," he added.
"So now I give up almost all of my spare time doing something or other football-related."
Buildbase is one of the UK's fastest growing builders' merchants with over 165 branches nationwide.
Many of its branches are long-established companies that have been serving local trades people for years, with knowledge and experience to match www.buildbase.co.uk/