St Albans City progress in Charity Cup
Goals from Bakare and Petrucci seal City’s progression
Herts Charity Cup
Cheshunt 0 St Albans City 2
ST ALBANS City made it a winning start to their 2011/12 campaign with a 2-0 victory at Cheshunt on Tuesday evening.
The Saints left it late to secure their progress courtesy of goals from Sakho Bakare and Dom Petrucci against a Cheshunt side who were forced to play the final 25 minutes with just 10 men following Charlie Moxom’s dismissal.
The visitors, managed by reserve team boss Franco Sidoli, made a sluggish start to proceedings as the home side dominated the first 45 minutes and it took the introduction of midfielder Nick Chrysanthou to turn the tide in City’s favour.
Cheshunt forward Ryan Wade tested City stopper Neil McDaid with a series of long range efforts but had no joy while City’s only effort of note in the opening half seeing Petrucci headed harmlessly at the Cheshunt ‘keeper.
- 1 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 3 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 4 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 St Albans haberdashery store celebrates 50 years
- 8 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 9 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
Chrysanthou’s arrival eight minutes after the interval gave City an attacking outlet that they didn’t have before earlier.
The visitors gained a numerical advantage with less than half an hour to go when Moxom was shown a red card for a reckless lunge on Jake Panayiotou with the City left-back forced from the action with a serious looking leg injury.
City made the most of the extra man, breaking the deadlock with just 12 minutes left on the referee’s watch. Chrysanthou was the creator playing the ball in Bakare and the Frenchman fired past the home goalkeeper to put City in front.
Chrysanthou continued to cause Cheshunt problems, teeing up Petrucci whose volley flew over the bar before the two combined shortly after to double City’s advantage.
Chrysanthou again took the role of creator, receiving the ball from Bakare before setting up Petrucci who made no mistake the second time, shooting low past the ‘keeper to seal City’s victory.
The Saints will face Leverstock Green in the next round.
City: McDaid, Dedman, Panayiotou (Karagozlu 65), Magwood, Lyon, Humbert, Bakare, Appenteng (Chrysanthou 53), Petrucci, Fry (Nicolas 64), Davies.
Subs not used: Thompson, Achempong.
Referee: Antony Serrano (Hemel Hempstead).