St Albans City power to Charity Cup final with confident victory over Hemel Hempstead Town

Harry Anderson scored the winner against Hemel Hempstead. Picture: LEIGH PAGE

Harry Anderson scored the winner against Hemel Hempstead. Picture: LEIGH PAGE - Credit: Archant

St Albans City made it through to the final of the Herts Charity Cup with a 1-0 win over Hemel Hempstead Town.

On-loan Peterborough United man Harry Anderson was the match winner, finally breaking Hemel’s resistance on 42 minutes.

The winger was a constant thorn for the Town defence but this was a confident City performance, full of hard graft and occasional flashes of good technical football.

And that confidence was clearly down to the 6-0 success over Whitehawk on Saturday.

They took the game to their visitors from the start and a early scramble forced a succession of corners.

Set pieces and deliveries from wide were looking to be the best chance for Saints.

Lee Chappell, Billy Gibson and Anderson were all close to assists but City could not get anyone taking enough a chance to get on the end of it.

Most Read

The best opportunity prior to the goal also came from an attack down the wing.

Jonathan Edwards beat his man for pace, git to the byline and his pull back evaded Xavi Comas Leon in the Hemel goal.

Billy Gibson was on the end of it but his shot was cleared off the line.

The goal came from a ball over the top.

Anderson used his pace to get clear of the last defender before rounding Comas-Leon and slotting into the empty net.

Hemel had afew chances in quick succession at the beginning of the second half but debutabt goalkeeper Martin Brennan was equal to two of them and when he was beaten, so was the far post.

But City and Anderson continued to look dangerous.

The winger hit a shot across the face of the goal before a low cross from the right was fired over by Michael Thalassitis.

Hemel mounted a late charge but Darren Locke’s block to deny Jack Kelly was the closest they came.

Louie Theophanous had a chance to settle the nerves in added time but Comas-Leon made the stop.

It proved immaterial and Saints will face Bishop’s Stortford in the final.

City: Brennan, Thomas, Bender, Gibson, Staunton, Locke, Anderson, Corcoran (Krans 66), Thalassitis (Theophanous 66), Edwards, Chappell

Subs (not used): Allinson, MacDonald, Swales

Goals: Anderson 42

Hemel: Leon, Ogroro, Kelly, Hickford, Bailey-Dennis, Greenidge, Herd, Richens (Potton 70), Morgan, Sekajja, Montgomery

Subs (not used): Butler, Bolpit, Brennan, Findlay-Bada


Attendance: 201