St Albans City one step closer to Wembley after FA Trophy success at Whitehawk
- Credit: Archant
Goals from Zane Banton and Kieran Monlouis gave St Albans City a 2-1 win away to Whitehawk and sent them into the last 32 of the FA Trophy.
Banton struck after 16 minutes to put City ahead and although Ky Marsh-Brown levelled shortly after the interval, Monlouis sent Saints through with the winner on the hour.
St Albans had a decent start but failed to test the home keeper until Banton latched on to a superb through ball and fired home.
Neither side were able to get a firm grasp though for the first 45 minutes although the hosts came flying out of the blocks in the secind period.
And they got a deserved equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
A cross was headed away but only as far as Marsh-Brown and he thumped it from the edge of the area into the top corner.
But then out of nothing the Saints retook the lead.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
Solomon Sambou put in a cross which was headed back across goal from Tom Bender and swept in by Monlouis.
Banton had a glorious chance shortly after but struck the post and Sam Merson fired into the side netting as City looked for a third.
But Whitehawk had chances of their own and it was with relief that the final whistle went.
The draw for the second round, which will be nationalised and not split north and south, will be on Monday.