St Albans City lose pre-season finale
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City ended their pre-season campaign with a 1-0 loss to Woking at Clarence Park.
Scott Rendell scored from the penalty spot in the 51st minute after Lewis Hilliard pushed Bruno Andrade in the box.
Andrade, a former QPR winger who had two loan spells at Stevenage last season, was Woking’s biggest threat in a game that had all the hallmarks off a pre-season friendly: a lack of tempo, a raft of substitutions and not many goal-scoring opportunities at either end.
Tom Coulton, in the St Albans City goal for Joe Welch, had a very good outing. He guessed wrong against Rendell’s down-the-middle penalty but he responsible for keeping the scoreline close.
His best save came in the second half when, going to his right, he stretched out his right hand to push Guiseppe Sole’s header to safety. Coulton also caught crosses confidently and his kicking was much improved from the last time he played for the Saints. In truth, Woking could and should have tested him a lot more but struggled to hit the target.
At the other end, chances were few and far between. New signing Louie Theophanous failed to build on his goal-scoring debut at Hitchin Town on Thursday and was kept quiet by Woking’s defence. Scott Thomas, City’s new defensive midfielder, had a decent first game, as did the defence of James Comley, Darren Locke, Ben Martin and John Kyriacou.
Sam Corcoran had City’s best chance of the match. After Comley split the defence with an excellent ball, he scuffed his shot wide.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
The competitive season begins on Tuesday at Ware in the Herts Charity Cup and the Vanarama National League South four days later at Gosport Borough.