St Albans City ladies reach third qualifying round of the FA Cup
St Albans City Ladies put five unanswered goals past Wavney Wanderers to progress to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.
After a cagey start, City started to control the game with some good football. Chances came and went and it took until just before the interval for St Albans to break the deadlock. Following a succession of corners Lucy Hancock drilled a low shot from the edge of the box into the bottom corner.
The second half was all about the quality of City ladies’ football and extra effort in the final third of the pitch, which resulted in four more goals from Megan Kiff, Kelly Hancock, Amy Crumpler and centre back Rachel Sherlow.
The ladies set up the Wavney tie with a first qualifying round 2-1 win over Sawbridgeworth, who are a number of leagues above them.
Georga Knight and Kelly Hancock scored the goals.
The Saints have made a perfect start to the season and continued their fine form with 3-2 win over Sharnrook in the league and a 2-1 win over Bishop’s Stortford in the League Cup.
The next opportunity to watch the undefeated St Albans City Ladies team at home is October 20, kick-off is 2pm at London Colney FC. Admission is free.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 9 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 10 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary