St Albans City start league season with victory over Hampton & Richmond Borough
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
St Albans City continued their great start to the new season with a 1-0 win in their opening National League South game at Clarence Park.
Solomon Nwabuokei got the only goal after 78 minutes to sink visitors Hampton & Richmond Borough, who ended the game with 10 men after Tyrell Miller-Rodney was sent off in stoppage time.
The game was a rather cagey affair in the first half as both sides gave away few opportunities with the best chances for Saints falling to new man Shaun Jeffers.
The second period was more of the same with it looking like one moment of brilliance or mistake from either side would decide the game.
And it was a fine free-kick form Munashe Sundire that brought it. His shot was parried away by the keeper but only into the path of Nwabuokei who slotted home.
You may also want to watch:
Miller-Rodney’s foul on Nwabuokei ended his night early but Hampton missed a great opportunity to equalise in the closing moments when Dean Inman went close from inside the area.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Charity founder cancels Channel swim after suffering long Covid