St Albans City retain four more players ahead of National League South season
- Credit: DANNY LOO PHOTOGRAPHY
St Albans City have announced the return of a quartet of players from last season - with all four heading into third season at Clarence Park.
Leading them is goalkeeper Michael Johnson, with defender Michael Clark, midfielder Kyran Wiltshire and forward Mitchell Weiss the others.
A former Hitchin Town keeper, Johnson joined from Dagenham & Redbridge in 2020 and has gone on to be a fan favourite.
Manager Ian Allinson said: "Michael has had two great years with the club and plays a big part in the squad both on and off the pitch.
"The experience he has gained, mixed with his authoritative personality, puts him amongst the best keepers at this level.”
Clark's time at the club has been spread out over two spells.
Last year though was a stop-start one for him with the boss hoping for a change of fortunes with his injury status.
- 1 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 2 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 3 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 6 Call for proper testing for new Charter Market stalls
- 7 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 10 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
He said: "It’s great to have a fully fit Clarky back. Injuries held him back over the last two seasons but this year we are both hoping we get to see his full potential."
Wiltshire joined City originally in the summer of 2020 having signing from Oxford City.
Allinson said: "Kyran has been Mr Dependable for me in midfield over the last two seasons and I’m delighted to have him back with us for the upcoming campaign."
Weiss completes the foursome, the forward having bagged 12 goals in 70 appearances since moving from Kings Langley.
Saints have already announced the signings of Chez Issac from Chelmsford City, Chris Paul from Hemel and Tafari Moore from Hendon while Joe Neal and Callum Adebiyi are others to have already committed to another season.
Three players are set to leave though with John Goddard the main one.
He has opted to cut down on his travel and seek football closer to home in order to concentrate on his commitment to the Core Football Academy, of which he is the managing director.
Speaking on Twitter, the player said: "This season was an absolute pleasure and it was a difficult decision to leave.
"But I must thank everyone from staff, to players to supporters. I've loved every minute of it and wish you nothing but success moving forwards."
Bayley Brown and Alkeo Bani are the others.