St Albans City extend Gayle’s loan by a month
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City joint managers James Gray and Graham Golds have managed to secure the services of Dagenham and Redbridge loanee Ian Gayle for another month.
The deal is yet to be confirmed, but Gray said it would be completed ahead of this weekend’s home match against Concord Rangers.
Speaking after Tuesday night’s 3-2, come from behind win over Hadley in the Herts Senior Cup, Gray said: “He’s been outstanding for us. He’s got natural pace that can cover other centre-halves and since he came in we’ve kept a few clean sheets.”
Another month also gives Gray and Golds time to assess their defence while James Kaloczi, who is back from his two-month loan spell at Wingate and Finchley, gets up to speed and Darren Locke recovers from injury.
In Omar Beckles, Gray sees a replacement for Gayle when his three-month loan is finally up.
You may also want to watch:
“Another month will see us right while I look and see whether we need to strengthen and, possibly, for a permanent signing,” he said.
“Omar Beckles didn’t put a foot wrong [against Hadley] and he is a ready-made replacement if and when Gayle returns to Dagenham.”
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Gayle and Beckles could be in line to start at the heart of the defence on Saturday after Darren Locke sat out Tuesday’s win over Hadley.