St Albans City beat Bridport to move one match away from the first round proper of the FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City are one game away from the first round proper of the FA Cup – but they had to battle to a 2-1 victory over Bridport.
The Wessex Premier League side, who play three division below Saints, scored early on in the second half to halve the hosts’ 2-0 half-time lead and there were chances to equalise.
But Saints, for whom Shaun Lucien and Percy Kiangebeni scored, had plenty of chances themselves to kill the game off.
Sam Merson and Rhys Murrell-Williamson both went close and Zane Banton hit the crossbar shortly after Bridport’s goal.
The former Luton Town man had also hit the woodwork in the first half.
You may also want to watch:
Lucien’s goal saw him cut inside and beat his man on 24 minutes before firing home from 20 yards.
Kiangebeni double the lead seven minutes later after marching towards the box before hitting an effort that took a deflection.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
The draw for the fourth qualifying round takes place on Monday, live on Talksport Radio at 1pm.
St Albans have made the first round proper in three of the last four years.