St Albans City beat Bridport to move one match away from the first round proper of the FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City are one game away from the first round proper of the FA Cup – but they had to battle to a 2-1 victory over Bridport.
The Wessex Premier League side, who play three division below Saints, scored early on in the second half to halve the hosts’ 2-0 half-time lead and there were chances to equalise.
But Saints, for whom Shaun Lucien and Percy Kiangebeni scored, had plenty of chances themselves to kill the game off.
Sam Merson and Rhys Murrell-Williamson both went close and Zane Banton hit the crossbar shortly after Bridport’s goal.
The former Luton Town man had also hit the woodwork in the first half.
Lucien’s goal saw him cut inside and beat his man on 24 minutes before firing home from 20 yards.
Kiangebeni double the lead seven minutes later after marching towards the box before hitting an effort that took a deflection.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 7 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 8 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 9 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 10 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
The draw for the fourth qualifying round takes place on Monday, live on Talksport Radio at 1pm.
St Albans have made the first round proper in three of the last four years.