Shambolic first-half sees St Albans City crash out of the Herts Charity Cup to Hertford Town
- Credit: Archant
An awful first half saw St Albans City crash out of the Herts Charity Cup 3-1 at Hertford Town.
Tommy Wade hit a first-half hat-trick for the Bostik South Central side as Saints fell apart.
The first came on 13 minutes with Wade pouncing after James Russell had parried an initial effort but the City goalkeeper was definitely at fault for number two.
He tried to dribble out of his six-yard box but was caught by Wade who executed a textbook tackle and slammed the ball into the empty net.
The third followed minutes later as a ball over the top found Wade free and he lobbed the onrushing Russell.
You may also want to watch:
Saints had to do something and they pulled one back eight minutes after the restart with Zane Banton curling one round a defender and beyond Lamar Johnson.
And the pressure kept coming, David Moyo, Ralston Gabriel, Sam Merson and Luke Tingey all having shots blocked, but try as they might they couldn’t turn it around and it is Hertford who go through to the next round.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
St Albans City: Russell, Tingey, Sage, Sambou, Kiangebeni, Diedhiou, Da Costa, Michael-Percil (Moyo 66), Merson, Gabriel, Banton.
Subs (not used): Moore-Azille, Joseph, Noble, Bonfieil
Goal: Banton 53
Hertford: Johnson, Sharman, Joynes, Toner, Twumasi, Beck, Keenleyside, Light (Thomson 41), Wade (Lutaaya 66), Ruff (Basden 75), Ward-Cochrane.
Subs (not used): Palmer, Thomas
Goals: Wade 13, 42, 45+1
HT: Hertford Town 3 St Albans City 0