St Albans back in the winning groove after five-star showing against West Herts
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s men returned to winning ways with a convincing 5-1 home victory against rivals West Herts.
Going into the match at Oaklands College West Herts were only two points off St Albans in the league table.
However the home side made sure of the points with a classy first-half display.
Skipper Matt Davey scored twice while Tariq Marcano bagged one as the Tangerines raced into a 3-0 half-time lead and although the second half was a scrappier affair, one which gave West Herts a goal and the chance of a fightback, further goals from Ian Scanlon and Simon Clapham ensured the victory.
Head coach John Barrett said: “It was an outstanding performance following last week’s first defeat of the season. I was very pleased with how the group responded, they came back fighting and displayed some fantastic hockey for large periods of the game.”
You may also want to watch:
Saints make the short trip to Letchworth on Saturday.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 7 Shortages crisis hits district
- 8 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 9 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book