St Albans Athletics Club ready to kickstart the London 2017 fun
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Acthletics Club are hoping to crank up the excitement ahead of what promises to be a huge summer of athletics in the UK.
The cream of the world’s athletes will once again descend on the Olympic Park and London Stadium for the World Para Athletics and the World Athletics Championships in July and August.
And St Albans AC are doing their bit, starting on Saturday.
They are hosting their final league match of the season at Westminster Lodge and Deborah Steer hopes the people of St Albans and Harpenden will use the hot, sunny weather to enjoy excellent athletics on their doorstep.
She said: “We want to kickstart London 2017. Athletics is a great sport to get into. All the best in the world will be coming to London.
“We will be taking on five other teams from the south and aside from the action there will be plenty of other things going on.”
The full gambit of events will be on show from hurdles and sprints to field events and relays.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 8 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 9 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 10 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
The club, who are run entirley by volunteers, will also be making a donation to charity from any monry raised on the day.
The action gets underway at 12pm and will run across the afternoon.