St Albans Athletics Club ready to kickstart the London 2017 fun
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Acthletics Club are hoping to crank up the excitement ahead of what promises to be a huge summer of athletics in the UK.
The cream of the world’s athletes will once again descend on the Olympic Park and London Stadium for the World Para Athletics and the World Athletics Championships in July and August.
And St Albans AC are doing their bit, starting on Saturday.
They are hosting their final league match of the season at Westminster Lodge and Deborah Steer hopes the people of St Albans and Harpenden will use the hot, sunny weather to enjoy excellent athletics on their doorstep.
She said: “We want to kickstart London 2017. Athletics is a great sport to get into. All the best in the world will be coming to London.
You may also want to watch:
“We will be taking on five other teams from the south and aside from the action there will be plenty of other things going on.”
The full gambit of events will be on show from hurdles and sprints to field events and relays.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
The club, who are run entirley by volunteers, will also be making a donation to charity from any monry raised on the day.
The action gets underway at 12pm and will run across the afternoon.