St Albans Athletics Club form link with team from west African country Togo
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Athletics Club have been busy over the winter break – forming a link-up with a club in Togo.
The link began with St Albans’ Richard Fine collecting old shoes and equipment and taking them on his trip to the small west African country.
And the club he found, in the capital city of Lome, were happy to receive the donations with the additions of some old AC vests.
Fine paid a visit to the club in Lome over Christmas.
He said: “The children have a great passion for athletics but are desperately poor and can not afford much equipment.
“They train on a small track, only 200m, under searing heat and often run barefoot.”
The Lome club immediately put the vests and equipment to good use in a local running competition as they did not have their own matching vests.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 5 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 6 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 10 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
Fine added: “They were very grateful for all of the running equipment as well as the friendship extended to them via the sport that both clubs and both sets of children love.”
St Albans hope to continue the partnership over the coming months.