St Albans Athletics Club form link with team from west African country Togo
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Athletics Club have been busy over the winter break – forming a link-up with a club in Togo.
The link began with St Albans’ Richard Fine collecting old shoes and equipment and taking them on his trip to the small west African country.
And the club he found, in the capital city of Lome, were happy to receive the donations with the additions of some old AC vests.
Fine paid a visit to the club in Lome over Christmas.
He said: “The children have a great passion for athletics but are desperately poor and can not afford much equipment.
“They train on a small track, only 200m, under searing heat and often run barefoot.”
The Lome club immediately put the vests and equipment to good use in a local running competition as they did not have their own matching vests.
- 1 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 2 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 7 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 8 Verulam Reallymoving's Houghton on a high with Bovingdon win
- 9 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 10 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
Fine added: “They were very grateful for all of the running equipment as well as the friendship extended to them via the sport that both clubs and both sets of children love.”
St Albans hope to continue the partnership over the coming months.