SSML Premier Division round-up: Colney Heath beat the drop after fabulous weekend

Charncey Dash scored three as Colney Heath avoided relegation. Picture: DANNY LOO

Charncey Dash scored three as Colney Heath avoided relegation. Picture: DANNY LOO - Credit: Archant

Great Escapes were not just confined to St Albans City – as Colney Heath produced their own tale of survival on the last weekend of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

The Magpies finished up in 20th, one place above the relegation zone, after picking up four points from their final two games.

They started with a fine 1-1 draw at home to champions AFC Dunstable on Saturday, a result which meant they only needed a point at FC Broxbourne Borough on Monday to retain their status.

But thanks to two goals from Charncey Dash in five first-half minutes, they went one better, winning 2-1.

Dash had grabbed the equaliser on 71 minutes against Dunstable, only the 10th time the champions have failed to win this season.

London Colney’s disappointing end to the year continued with two more defeats making it three in a row.

It started with a 4-0 reverse to Tring Athletic on Saturday before a trip up the A1 on Bank Holiday Monday brought a 1-0 loss to Stotfold.

Most Read

However, despite this they still managed to clinch second place for the second season running.

Monday’s game was typical of their end to the year which started to peter out when they were denied a shot at promotion due to their ground not meeting the standards.

Manager Ryan Thompson was forced to raid the reserves again because of player unavailability.

And it was the disjointed start, as players tried to adapt to new positions and new personnel, that cost the Blueboys the game.

Stotfold scored from their only shot on goal in the first half, Jake Long converting a left-wing cross.

Colney continued to battle but on a bobbly pitch they failed to produce their usual fluent style.

Spencer Clarke-Mardell had their best chance before the break which was well-saved.

The second half was much better. Charlie Smith and Archie McClelland forced the keeper into further saves but despite the extra pressure, Stotfold held on for the win.