Spotlight on St Albans 5ths after matching victories
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s 5ths took the limelight on Saturday with matching 3-1 victories.
Team of the day was the ladies’ 5ths for inflicting a first loss of the season on high-flying Saffron Walden 5ths, whom the Tangerines now join level on points at the top of Five Counties Division Three. Jordan Beaumont-Wraith was the star of a tight match, scoring all three goals for St Albans.
The men’s 5ths’ victory, at Welwyn Garden City 2nds, came through two goals from Roland Waller and one from Alastair Sykes.
The club’s 1st teams also had matching results. The ladies were unlucky to emerge with only a 2-2 draw at Maidenhead, with goals from Donna Pringle and Amy Kee, while Paul Copper and Scott Apps netted for the men’s team at Cambridge University.
A fourth consecutive victory saw the ladies’ 2nds beat Waltham Forest 1sts 3-0 to go four points clear at the top of East Division 1S.
You may also want to watch:
In the cup games on Sunday, the ladies’ 2nds won on penalties at Old Loughtonians 2nds, while the ladies’ over-35s thumped West Herts 11-0 at Oaklands.
Hannah Macleod and Ellie Watton played in England’s games at the Champions Trophy in Argentina, where Watton, who organises the Club’s youth coaching masterclasses and holiday hockey camps, scored the equalisers in both weekend games: the narrow 2-1 defeat to Australia on Saturday and the 1-1 draw against Germany on Sunday.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 6 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 Harpenden great-grandad celebrates 100th birthday