Solid defence pleases Gray
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City’s players gave their managers something to smile about on Monday night after holding League Two Stevenage to a 1-1 draw thanks to an outstanding defensive display.
City’s defensive frailties have been well documented this pre-season but against a very young Boro side they were superb. James Kaloczi started at centre back alongside Tom Ward and they thwarted all but one of Boro’s attacks – the one they scored from – while the visitor’s wingers were nullified by full-backs Lee Chappell and John Kyriacou.
Defensive midfielder Danny Green also played his part, putting in a solid performance.
After the game, joint manager James Gray said: “I thought it was a decent run out and much improved from Saturday’s [win over Ware], especially defensively and shape-wise.
“We contained everything they had. We asked the lads to play with more structure and not be so expansive because a team like [Stevenage] could have torn up apart but, over the 90 minutes, we were the better side and were unlucky not to win it.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We’ve only really spoken about defensive work with the games coming thick and fast and all the fitness work we’ve done.
“The lads did what we asked and [Stevenage] didn’t carve us open. I thought we had the better chances throughout the game and were unfortunate not to win it.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
“We’ll work on pattern of play, shape, set pieces and balance of the side this week, and throughout the season, so we’re even more improved for Saturday.”
The Saints open their Vanarama Conference South season on Saturday at home against Hayes and Yeading. Kick-off 3pm.