Dean Snedker to leave St Albans City as club opt for former Hitchin Town stopper
- Credit: Danny Loo/TGS Photo
St Albans City and Dean Snedker have ended their three-year association with the club deciding “to go down a different route”.
The popular number one played a total of 141 games since joining the Saints in 2017 from Cambridge City, winning an army of fans and a number of awards along the way.
A statement from the club said: “We can confirm that following discussions between Dean Snedker and [manager] Ian Allinson, Ian has decided to go down a different route in the goalkeeping position.
“Ian, along with everyone associated with the club, would like to thank Dean for his service and performances over the past three years and wish him all the best going forward in his career.”
The “different route” is former Hitchin Town stopper Michael Johnson, who becomes the 12th player to put pen to paper on a deal ahead of the new season.
You may also want to watch:
The 26-year-old made 184 appearances at Top Field, quickly becoming a fan favourite in the process, but moved into the National League South with Braintree Town last summer.
He moved on from Cressing Road in February to join National League Dagenham & Redbridge but failed to make an appearance prior to the early curtailment of the campaign.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
The City boss though firmly believes that the acquisition is a feather in the club’s cap.
He said: “I’m pleased to get Michael on board. He’s a goalkeeper I’ve admired since I first saw him playing for Hitchin Town in the Herts Senior Cup a couple of years ago.
“I’ve watched him a few times since and his performances have always caught the eye and I believe he will be an excellent addition to the squad that we are currently building.”