Smith tips London Colney in FA Vase round two
- Credit: Archant
Jack Smith tipped Harry Holland’s goal-bound strike onto the post to ensure London Colney edged past Baldock and into the next round of the FA Vase.
Martin Collins and Spencer Clarke-Mardel had put the Blueboys two goals ahead of their SSML Division One opponents but Lee Harman fired them within one from the penalty spot.
Colney were unable to shake Baldock and had to rely on their shot-stopper Jack Smith to see them through to round two.
Jim Nicholls’ side showed the gulf between the teams in the first half as Collins latched on to Russell Gallagher’s low cross to put them ahead. Six minutes was all it took to double the lead as Clarke-Mardel took advantage of a Nicky Stillwell slip to pass the ball into an empty net.
Baldock are flying high in their league and it showed as they clawed a goal back, Harman stepping up to convert from 12 yards after Sam Doolan handled the ball in the box.
The teams traded barbs in the second half - Martin and Doolan went close for the Blueboys while Tom Dram and Harman almost found an equaliser - but Smith was determined to get his cup run off to a winning start.
He made a brilliant one-handed save to deny Harman before pulling off the save of the day to keep Holland’s effort out and ensure his side remained in the competition.
- 1 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 3 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 4 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 St Albans haberdashery store celebrates 50 years
- 8 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 9 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown