Slideshow: Goodwin fires as Saints seal good opening win
Division Three Harpenden II 210-5 (51) St Albans II 211-8 (49) ST Albans Seconds beat Harpenden Seconds in the battle for local pride in Division Three of the Saracens Herts League on The Common on Saturday.
Harpenden II 210-5 (51) St Albans II 211-8 (49)
ST Albans Seconds beat Harpenden Seconds in the battle for local pride in Division Three of the Saracens Herts League on The Common on Saturday.
The visiting Saints won the toss in glorious conditions and inserted the home side. Opener Mark Fordham immediately began to show his skills for Harpenden and batted through the innings. Mick Brookes (25) and Oliver Tuck (32 off 38 balls) supported well as Fordham crashed his way to 101 not out off 147 balls. Harpenden declared with 51 overs used on 210-5. Yasir Arafat picked up two wickets for St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, Harpenden gained control with the exceptional Arafat stunned to be out for a duck thanks to the superb bowling of Chris Roe. The loss of Arafat left the Saints facing a tough task but to their credit they battled on and Jimmy Goodwin blasted 78 off 83 balls to inspire a sensational derby win. Richard O'Toole finished the job for Saints not out on 32 and they took the points reaching 211-8 off 49 overs. Roe ended with 4-37 off his 13 overs.
On Saturday, May 10 St Albans II host Shenley Village and Harpenden II host Bishop's Stortford II.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
Mark Fordham Harpenden 101 not out off 147 balls five 4s
Jimmy Goodwin St Albans 78 off 83 balls two 4s seven 6s
Oliver Tuck Harpenden 32 off 38 balls four 4s
Richard O'Toole St Albans 32 off 46 balls three 4s one 6
Chris Roe Harpenden 4-37 off 13 overs
Yasir Arafat St Albans 2-50 off 11 overs