Slade scores twice as Colney Heath Ladies progress in FA Cup
Colney Heath Ladies opened their FA Cup campaign with a 3-1 win at Garston.
Molly Slade put the Magpies ahead before they were pegged back by an own goal, Gracie Campion getting the last touch as the ball deflected by her goalkeeper.
However, two second half goals from Megan Kiff and Slade wrapped up a memorable win.
Colney started brightly and, after forcing a succession of corners, Molly Slade curled the ball into the box only for it to flick off a Garston foot and into the net. Within a few minutes Garston were on the attack and put a tricky ball into the box. The Colney Heath defence had deal with it but Campion directed it in.
Colney Heath restarted and dominated the rest of the half both in possession and chances created. Garston were saved on two occasions by excellent saves as Colney failed to turn their pressure into goals.
The game ebbed and flowed at the start of the second half until the 60th minute when Heath pulled ahead. After a foul on the edge of the box Kiff, returning to action after a lengthy lay off, found the top corner from the free-kick.
The tie was wrapped up when Slade reacted fastest to a save and headed in her second of the game.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
The win was Heath’s first of the season and sets up a round two tie at Leighton United on October 12.