Slade scores twice as Colney Heath Ladies progress in FA Cup
Colney Heath Ladies opened their FA Cup campaign with a 3-1 win at Garston.
Molly Slade put the Magpies ahead before they were pegged back by an own goal, Gracie Campion getting the last touch as the ball deflected by her goalkeeper.
However, two second half goals from Megan Kiff and Slade wrapped up a memorable win.
Colney started brightly and, after forcing a succession of corners, Molly Slade curled the ball into the box only for it to flick off a Garston foot and into the net. Within a few minutes Garston were on the attack and put a tricky ball into the box. The Colney Heath defence had deal with it but Campion directed it in.
Colney Heath restarted and dominated the rest of the half both in possession and chances created. Garston were saved on two occasions by excellent saves as Colney failed to turn their pressure into goals.
You may also want to watch:
The game ebbed and flowed at the start of the second half until the 60th minute when Heath pulled ahead. After a foul on the edge of the box Kiff, returning to action after a lengthy lay off, found the top corner from the free-kick.
The tie was wrapped up when Slade reacted fastest to a save and headed in her second of the game.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 5 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 8 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 9 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
The win was Heath’s first of the season and sets up a round two tie at Leighton United on October 12.