Skipper is at the centre of attention
RISING star Owen Farrell helped inspired London & South East to a fine 15-5 win over the North as the England 16 Group Divisional Festival at Broadstreet RFC near Coventry concluded. Saracens and England centre Andy Farrell watched on as his son Owen, who
RISING star Owen Farrell helped inspired London & South East to a fine 15-5 win over the North as the England 16 Group Divisional Festival at Broadstreet RFC near Coventry concluded.
Saracens and England centre Andy Farrell watched on as his son Owen, who attends St George's School, Harpenden and has now signed a deal with Sarries, captained the London & South East to victory.
The North had withstood an opening 10 minutes of pressure before London & South East took the lead with a 70-metre interception try by right wing Charlie Sadler. The North levelled before half-time when fly half George Ford danced past three tackles to score. Ford combined well throughout with the North's inside centre and captain, Sam Stuart Sedbergh and but the London forwards had the edge.
A try after several phases by left wing Sam Edgerley (Wellington College and Surrey) put London & South East ahead again at 10-5, then full-back Ben Ransom (Tonbridge School and Kent) sealed the win after a series of good offloads out of the tackle.
In the other match, the Midlands and the South West drew 10-10.
On Friday, January 11 the London & South East drew 5-5 with the Midlands. Captain Owen Farrell had a steady game in difficult conditions.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 7 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 8 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 9 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
- 10 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
London's try was scored after six minutes when blindside flanker Jamie Bache was driven over from a line-out.
It looked like Bache's try would decide the game until the Midlands scored a kick-and-rush try late on.
Owen Farrell has been called up to the England Under 16s Elite squad for training later this month. England will select a senior squad to play in the Four Nations Tournament in Lyon in MaRCH and an A team to participate in the annual Millfield Festival in Somerset.