Skipper is at the centre of attention
RISING star Owen Farrell helped inspired London & South East to a fine 15-5 win over the North as the England 16 Group Divisional Festival at Broadstreet RFC near Coventry concluded. Saracens and England centre Andy Farrell watched on as his son Owen, who
RISING star Owen Farrell helped inspired London & South East to a fine 15-5 win over the North as the England 16 Group Divisional Festival at Broadstreet RFC near Coventry concluded.
Saracens and England centre Andy Farrell watched on as his son Owen, who attends St George's School, Harpenden and has now signed a deal with Sarries, captained the London & South East to victory.
The North had withstood an opening 10 minutes of pressure before London & South East took the lead with a 70-metre interception try by right wing Charlie Sadler. The North levelled before half-time when fly half George Ford danced past three tackles to score. Ford combined well throughout with the North's inside centre and captain, Sam Stuart Sedbergh and but the London forwards had the edge.
A try after several phases by left wing Sam Edgerley (Wellington College and Surrey) put London & South East ahead again at 10-5, then full-back Ben Ransom (Tonbridge School and Kent) sealed the win after a series of good offloads out of the tackle.
You may also want to watch:
In the other match, the Midlands and the South West drew 10-10.
On Friday, January 11 the London & South East drew 5-5 with the Midlands. Captain Owen Farrell had a steady game in difficult conditions.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 'Witty, dramatic and rewarding' Skylight set for Abbey Theatre in St Albans
London's try was scored after six minutes when blindside flanker Jamie Bache was driven over from a line-out.
It looked like Bache's try would decide the game until the Midlands scored a kick-and-rush try late on.
Owen Farrell has been called up to the England Under 16s Elite squad for training later this month. England will select a senior squad to play in the Four Nations Tournament in Lyon in MaRCH and an A team to participate in the annual Millfield Festival in Somerset.