Six-wicket win for Sandridge in opener
Sandridge opened the 2014 season with a comfortable six-wicket win over St Albans 2nds at Spencer Meadows.
Stand-in skipper John Murphy won the toss and chose to bowl first on a dry and flat early May wicket. Saints got off to a good start, moving to 44 without any real alarms.
Murphy picked up two wickets in consecutive balls and Lawrence White, who bowled an impressive opening spell, secured a wicket in the next over.
Wickets continued to fall at a regular rate, in particular when a jet-lagged Lennie Peters was introduced. A comedy run-out ended the inning at 114.
In reply, Paul Rothery and Adam Temple got the ‘Ridgers off to an energetic start before a partnership of 75 between Ian Merryfield (38) and Peters (38) saw Sandridge within sight of victory.
You may also want to watch:
Duncan Ferguson smashed the winning runs with plenty of over to spare.
Next weekend Sandridge visit Dunstable 2nds.
- 1 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 2 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 7 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 8 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 9 Alban Arena launches annual pantomime with Strictly Come Dancing star
- 10 A New York state of mind