Six rugby players from the district called up for England
- Credit: Archant
Five Old Albanian rugby players and one from Harpenden have been called up for international duty with England.
Chris May, Matt Miles and Harry Bate have been selected for England Counties three-game tour to Canada next month while Karl Garside and Hayden King, alongside Harpenden’s Tim Bitirim, will link up with the England Counties U20 side for a tour to Russia.
Old Albanian’s player-coach James Shanahan will also be heading to Canada as lead coach.
Team manager Matt Long said: “To pull on the England shirt is great honour, especially for those on the tour who have yet to play for England Counties, and we’re excited to welcome some new players to the squad for this tour.”
In total Hertfordshire will send 10 of the 50 players travelling with both teams.
England Counties will play BC Bears in Vancouver on June 3 before facing Prairie Wolf Pack in Calgary on June 7.
They finish with a game against Ontario Blues in Toronto on June 11.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 5 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
The U20s will play their Russian counterparts in two matches in Moscow on June 5 and June 8.