Six rugby players from the district called up for England
- Credit: Archant
Five Old Albanian rugby players and one from Harpenden have been called up for international duty with England.
Chris May, Matt Miles and Harry Bate have been selected for England Counties three-game tour to Canada next month while Karl Garside and Hayden King, alongside Harpenden’s Tim Bitirim, will link up with the England Counties U20 side for a tour to Russia.
Old Albanian’s player-coach James Shanahan will also be heading to Canada as lead coach.
Team manager Matt Long said: “To pull on the England shirt is great honour, especially for those on the tour who have yet to play for England Counties, and we’re excited to welcome some new players to the squad for this tour.”
In total Hertfordshire will send 10 of the 50 players travelling with both teams.
You may also want to watch:
England Counties will play BC Bears in Vancouver on June 3 before facing Prairie Wolf Pack in Calgary on June 7.
They finish with a game against Ontario Blues in Toronto on June 11.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
The U20s will play their Russian counterparts in two matches in Moscow on June 5 and June 8.