Six rugby players from the district called up for England
- Credit: Archant
Five Old Albanian rugby players and one from Harpenden have been called up for international duty with England.
Chris May, Matt Miles and Harry Bate have been selected for England Counties three-game tour to Canada next month while Karl Garside and Hayden King, alongside Harpenden’s Tim Bitirim, will link up with the England Counties U20 side for a tour to Russia.
Old Albanian’s player-coach James Shanahan will also be heading to Canada as lead coach.
Team manager Matt Long said: “To pull on the England shirt is great honour, especially for those on the tour who have yet to play for England Counties, and we’re excited to welcome some new players to the squad for this tour.”
In total Hertfordshire will send 10 of the 50 players travelling with both teams.
England Counties will play BC Bears in Vancouver on June 3 before facing Prairie Wolf Pack in Calgary on June 7.
They finish with a game against Ontario Blues in Toronto on June 11.
- 1 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 4 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 5 Big Brother House set to return to Hertfordshire for 2023 reboot show
- 6 Investigation over unauthorised development on Green Belt site
- 7 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 8 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
The U20s will play their Russian counterparts in two matches in Moscow on June 5 and June 8.