Six rugby players from the district called up for England
- Credit: Archant
Five Old Albanian rugby players and one from Harpenden have been called up for international duty with England.
Chris May, Matt Miles and Harry Bate have been selected for England Counties three-game tour to Canada next month while Karl Garside and Hayden King, alongside Harpenden’s Tim Bitirim, will link up with the England Counties U20 side for a tour to Russia.
Old Albanian’s player-coach James Shanahan will also be heading to Canada as lead coach.
Team manager Matt Long said: “To pull on the England shirt is great honour, especially for those on the tour who have yet to play for England Counties, and we’re excited to welcome some new players to the squad for this tour.”
In total Hertfordshire will send 10 of the 50 players travelling with both teams.
You may also want to watch:
England Counties will play BC Bears in Vancouver on June 3 before facing Prairie Wolf Pack in Calgary on June 7.
They finish with a game against Ontario Blues in Toronto on June 11.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The U20s will play their Russian counterparts in two matches in Moscow on June 5 and June 8.