Six of the best for Harpenden Town
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town scored a stunning 6-0 victory over Ampthill Town at Rothamsted Park – leaping four places up the Spartan South Midlands League Division One table in the process.
The win on Tuesday night came courtesy of two goals from Alex Yearwood and Jimmy Hill, plus one each for Charlie Gould and Scott Timmins.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “I am happy we have showed some resilience after a bad game last week.
“Now we need to push on and show some consistency.
“It is great to see the team has picked up because we have a cup semi-final away from home this Saturday and so this result will give us the boost we need.”
You may also want to watch:
Town blasted out of the blocks and were 3-0 up after just 20 minutes.
The first arrived a mere 40 seconds into the game, Gould getting onto a cross from the left.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
He then turned provider, finding Yearwood, who cut in from the left for a wonderful individual goal.
Timmins got on the end of a free-kick for number three.
After the restart Hill converted a penalty before hitting a first-time shot with the outside of his foot for his second.
Yearwood scored the sixth in the last minute for a brilliant victory.
On Saturday Harpenden travel to Bishop’s Stortford Swifts in the semi-final of the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy, with an unusual kick-off time of 1.45pm.