Silver service from STAGS’ Lucy
Youngster comes second in Midland Area U20 competition
JUDO: A ST ALBANS Girls’ School pupil won silver at one of the UK’s top four Judo ranking tournaments.
Lucy Day competed in the Midland Area U20 competition looking to attain a national ranking in the pre-cadet section (12yrs–13yrs), which means she is competing against players in the year above her. In the first round Lucy beat her opponent, a girl who had in fact beaten Lucy at the British National Championships earlier in the year, with a beautifully executed backwards throw for a 10 point win.
Lucy’s next contest, again against a player currently in the pre-cadet squad, saw an evenly matched contest with Lucy and her opponent tussling for control of the match. As the contest progressed Lucy started to gain the upper hand and won the fight with a lovely left handed hip throw for 10 points.
This guaranteed the STAGS pupil at least a silver medal.
You may also want to watch:
In the final Lucy fought hard and defended well against a very good 13-year-old player. The very evenly balanced fight was scoreless at the end of normal contest time so a further two minute period of ‘golden score’ was announced. Unfortunately Lucy lost by a five point score in this period, so was awarded the silver medal and will receive ranking points for her achievement.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25