Siblings ready to take on Europe with England
- Credit: Archant
A brother and sister from St Albans are putting sibling rivalry aside as they target European fencing glory with England.
Alex and Nathalie Culkin have both been selected for the England foil fencing squad ahead of international tournaments in Paris and Poland in 2018.
The duo, who fence at the Salle Paul Fencing Club in London, both go to state schools in the city, Samuel Ryder Academy for Nathalie and Verulam for Alex.
Head teacher Matt Gauthier from Samuel Ryder Academy said: “We’re thrilled for Nathalie. She is a delightful student who gives her best in everything she does and to achieve such an accolade is fantastic news.”
His Verulam counterpart, Paul Ramsey, said: “It’s a tremendous feat to be picked for your country two years running, in what is a very technically demanding sport.
You may also want to watch:
“Alex should be proud. He is on track to be a true sporting ambassador for the school.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters