Siblings ready to take on Europe with England
- Credit: Archant
A brother and sister from St Albans are putting sibling rivalry aside as they target European fencing glory with England.
Alex and Nathalie Culkin have both been selected for the England foil fencing squad ahead of international tournaments in Paris and Poland in 2018.
The duo, who fence at the Salle Paul Fencing Club in London, both go to state schools in the city, Samuel Ryder Academy for Nathalie and Verulam for Alex.
Head teacher Matt Gauthier from Samuel Ryder Academy said: “We’re thrilled for Nathalie. She is a delightful student who gives her best in everything she does and to achieve such an accolade is fantastic news.”
His Verulam counterpart, Paul Ramsey, said: “It’s a tremendous feat to be picked for your country two years running, in what is a very technically demanding sport.
You may also want to watch:
“Alex should be proud. He is on track to be a true sporting ambassador for the school.”
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 'Witty, dramatic and rewarding' Skylight set for Abbey Theatre in St Albans