Siblings ready to take on Europe with England
- Credit: Archant
A brother and sister from St Albans are putting sibling rivalry aside as they target European fencing glory with England.
Alex and Nathalie Culkin have both been selected for the England foil fencing squad ahead of international tournaments in Paris and Poland in 2018.
The duo, who fence at the Salle Paul Fencing Club in London, both go to state schools in the city, Samuel Ryder Academy for Nathalie and Verulam for Alex.
Head teacher Matt Gauthier from Samuel Ryder Academy said: “We’re thrilled for Nathalie. She is a delightful student who gives her best in everything she does and to achieve such an accolade is fantastic news.”
His Verulam counterpart, Paul Ramsey, said: “It’s a tremendous feat to be picked for your country two years running, in what is a very technically demanding sport.
“Alex should be proud. He is on track to be a true sporting ambassador for the school.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment