Shields treble stuns Bedworth
SEAN Shields bagged his second hat-trick of the season as St Albans City won 3-1 away at Bedworth United on Saturday.
The triumph was the third in a row for caretaker bosses James Gray and Graham Golds who have been running the side since the sacking of ex-manager David Howell.
They have guided the Saints to Evo-Stik League wins over Bedworth and Leamington, while also beating a Watford XI in the Herts Senior Cup to put their names in the hat for the job on a permanent basis.
Shields’ first half treble marked a stunning return to the first team after he missed the previous weekend’s 3-0 triumph over Leamington through injury.
He opened the scoring in the 10th minute only for United to level seven minutes later through Richard Wesley.
You may also want to watch:
However, City regained their lead shortly after as Shields grabbed his second and his third came just before the break.
The Saints went close to adding to their tally in the second half through Shields again, his effort was tipped onto the bar, but they had done enough in the opening 45 minutes to secure the three points and move to sixth in the table.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend