Shields treble stuns Bedworth
SEAN Shields bagged his second hat-trick of the season as St Albans City won 3-1 away at Bedworth United on Saturday.
The triumph was the third in a row for caretaker bosses James Gray and Graham Golds who have been running the side since the sacking of ex-manager David Howell.
They have guided the Saints to Evo-Stik League wins over Bedworth and Leamington, while also beating a Watford XI in the Herts Senior Cup to put their names in the hat for the job on a permanent basis.
Shields’ first half treble marked a stunning return to the first team after he missed the previous weekend’s 3-0 triumph over Leamington through injury.
He opened the scoring in the 10th minute only for United to level seven minutes later through Richard Wesley.
You may also want to watch:
However, City regained their lead shortly after as Shields grabbed his second and his third came just before the break.
The Saints went close to adding to their tally in the second half through Shields again, his effort was tipped onto the bar, but they had done enough in the opening 45 minutes to secure the three points and move to sixth in the table.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans