Shields nominated for FA Cup Player of the Round award
ST Albans City winger Sean Shields has been rewarded for his outstanding FA Cup show at Ashford Town on Saturday by being nominated for Budweiser Player of the Round.
The 21-year-old scored a first-half hat-trick in just 29 minutes in Saints’ 6-2 second qualifying round win at Short Lane and was a constant threat to the Middlesex club throughout.
It was the first FA Cup hat-trick away from home by a City player for more than 60 years.
“Sean deserves the honour,” said City manager David Howell.
“He was unplayable at times at Ashford.
“He is coming on in leaps and bounds now and delivering an end product to match his talent.
“If he keeps his feet on the ground and continues to learn his trade properly with us, he can go a long way in the game.”
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
Shields is one of five nominees, the other four being Nicky Platt (FC United of Manchester), Jonte Smith (Metropolitan Police), Callum Ward (Tadcaster Albion) and Tom Winters (Brackley Town).
The winner will be determined by an online poll and City fans can vote for Shields via the link above right.
Fans have until midday on Tuesday, October 2 to vote.
The player who tops the poll will receive a commemorative Budweiser Player of the Round trophy and he will also be invited to The FA Cup Final at Wembley next May as a guest of The FA and Budweiser.