Shields nominated for FA Cup Player of the Round award
ST Albans City winger Sean Shields has been rewarded for his outstanding FA Cup show at Ashford Town on Saturday by being nominated for Budweiser Player of the Round.
The 21-year-old scored a first-half hat-trick in just 29 minutes in Saints’ 6-2 second qualifying round win at Short Lane and was a constant threat to the Middlesex club throughout.
It was the first FA Cup hat-trick away from home by a City player for more than 60 years.
“Sean deserves the honour,” said City manager David Howell.
“He was unplayable at times at Ashford.
You may also want to watch:
“He is coming on in leaps and bounds now and delivering an end product to match his talent.
“If he keeps his feet on the ground and continues to learn his trade properly with us, he can go a long way in the game.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
Shields is one of five nominees, the other four being Nicky Platt (FC United of Manchester), Jonte Smith (Metropolitan Police), Callum Ward (Tadcaster Albion) and Tom Winters (Brackley Town).
The winner will be determined by an online poll and City fans can vote for Shields via the link above right.
Fans have until midday on Tuesday, October 2 to vote.
The player who tops the poll will receive a commemorative Budweiser Player of the Round trophy and he will also be invited to The FA Cup Final at Wembley next May as a guest of The FA and Budweiser.