Shenley seal title
SHL Division Three Shenley Village 148-2 beat Wheathampstead 145 by eight wickets SHENLEY Village, already certain of promotion, went one better and ended the season in style as Division Three champions. Their eight-wicket win over Wheathampstead proved
SHL Division Three
Shenley Village 148-2 beat Wheathampstead 145 by eight wickets
SHENLEY Village, already certain of promotion, went one better and ended the season in style as Division Three champions.
Their eight-wicket win over Wheathampstead proved enough, as the two teams above them at the start of the day - Hemel and Letchworth - both slipped up at the last.
Wheathampstead chose to bat first on a warm and sunny afternoon but were two wickets down by the fourth over.
Robbins hit a single six before being caught by Craig Rawlings off paceman Wendell Roberts, while fellow opener Yogendra was bowled by Shenley skipper Jemile Al-Darraji for a duck, with the score on 7-2. Roberts struck again in the 11th over to remove Keane and further reduce the visitors to 27-3.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 10 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
The middle order managed to get themselves back on track for a time, with Weaver making 26 and Martin remaining at the crease for nearly an hour for his 40, before being stumped off occasional bowler Morgan Stanley. But the tail were then swept up within six overs to leave Wheathampstead at 145 all out. Spinner Rifkhan Hameed ended with 3-38 while Roberts and Dan Bowles took two apiece. Roberts ended his season with the impressive total of 72 league wickets.
After tea, Shenley set about their task in now cold and overcast conditions.
They suffered a quick setback in the third over as Richard Evans was bowled with the score on six. But thereafter the home side - unbeaten since mid-June - shrugged off the early loss and the chilly conditions as they cruised to an impressive victory in just 21 overs.
Al-Darraji made 26 before he was caught behind in a second wicket partnership of 75. Rob Laney smashed an unbeaten 83 containing 11 fours and five sixes, while Rahul Gajjar's knock of 26 comprised five fours and one six.
Martin was the best of the Wheathampstead bowlers (2-46).
After an anxious wait to see what else was happening at the top of the table, Shenley were confirmed as Division Three winners.
They will be presented with their trophy on Saturday, September 12, at Wembley Stadium.