Shenley pair collect awards
CRICKET: Shenley Village Cricket Club s Wendell Roberts has been recognised for his impressive exploits during the 2009 season. His 72-wicket haul set a Division Three record; with just a handful of players ever having taken more wickets in a single Hert
CRICKET: Shenley Village Cricket Club's Wendell Roberts has been recognised for his impressive exploits during the 2009 season.
His 72-wicket haul set a Division Three record; with just a handful of players ever having taken more wickets in a single Hertfordshire League season.
The West Indian strike bowler's efforts were rewarded by the Saracens Hertfordshire League at last week's AGM and Awards Presentations evening at the Metropolitan Police Sports Club in Bushey, where he was named winner of the Division Three bowling award.
Meanwhile, youngster Charlie Thurston, captain of Shenley Village's victorious U13s team from 2009 and also a team-mate of Roberts, was similarly recently honoured.
You may also want to watch:
Thurston, who in addition to his junior cricket commitments also opened the batting for Shenley's 1st XI last summer, was presented with two trophies by the Hertfordshire County Cricket Association. Thurston was winner of both the junior batting and bowling awards for the U14s age group at the HCCA AGM at Knebworth.
There was yet more good news for Thurnston, already a member of Middlesex County Cricket Club's Junior Emerging Player programme, when he was taken on by Middlesex on a full-time basis for the coming season. He will be a member of both their U14s and U15s squads.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 3 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 4 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 9 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 10 Shaun Jeffers and St Albans City a match made in Hertfordshire
Both Roberts and Thurston will again turn out for Shenley Village in 2010.
The club, based at the Shenley Cricket Centre in Radlett Lane, were crowned Division Three champions last year and are eagerly awaiting the start of the new campaign and a taste of life in Division Two.