Shaw scores in 35 seconds as Blueboys beat St Margaretsbury
- Credit: Archant
A first-minute goal set the tone for the London Colney on Saturday as they ran out 4-1 winners against St Margaretsbury following a dominant performance.
Greg Shaw opened the scoring after 35 seconds, driving the ball past the goalkeeper to cap off a fluid move that started from kick-off, before Matt Newman scored the second.
The Blueboys’ top scorer had seen three of his efforts saved but he was not to be denied a fourth time. Russell Gallagher headed a Martin Collins cross into Newman’s path who struck home from 10 yards.
More chances fell to Colney but they failed to add to a second goal as they ended the first-half two goals to the good.
St Margaretsbury, who had been spectators in the first half, gave themselves a glimmer of hope soon after the restart; Ryan Wade hitting the net from the penalty spot but it was their one and only highlight.
Soon after the visitors’ goal, the two-goal cushion was restored by Martin Collins who pounced on a loose ball and steered it past Alex Smits from six yards.
Colney continued to pour forward and it was no surprise when they scored a fourth goal; Danny Fitzgerald setting up Spencer Clarke-Mardel.
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 5 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 7 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
Jimmy Hill was a late introduction to the game and was unlucky not to score but his afternoon was soiled by a red card for a rash challenge.
Colney’s next game is on Tuesday night (October 15) when they travel to Hoddesdon, 745pm kick-off.