Shaw scores in 35 seconds as Blueboys beat St Margaretsbury
- Credit: Archant
A first-minute goal set the tone for the London Colney on Saturday as they ran out 4-1 winners against St Margaretsbury following a dominant performance.
Greg Shaw opened the scoring after 35 seconds, driving the ball past the goalkeeper to cap off a fluid move that started from kick-off, before Matt Newman scored the second.
The Blueboys’ top scorer had seen three of his efforts saved but he was not to be denied a fourth time. Russell Gallagher headed a Martin Collins cross into Newman’s path who struck home from 10 yards.
More chances fell to Colney but they failed to add to a second goal as they ended the first-half two goals to the good.
St Margaretsbury, who had been spectators in the first half, gave themselves a glimmer of hope soon after the restart; Ryan Wade hitting the net from the penalty spot but it was their one and only highlight.
You may also want to watch:
Soon after the visitors’ goal, the two-goal cushion was restored by Martin Collins who pounced on a loose ball and steered it past Alex Smits from six yards.
Colney continued to pour forward and it was no surprise when they scored a fourth goal; Danny Fitzgerald setting up Spencer Clarke-Mardel.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Jimmy Hill was a late introduction to the game and was unlucky not to score but his afternoon was soiled by a red card for a rash challenge.
Colney’s next game is on Tuesday night (October 15) when they travel to Hoddesdon, 745pm kick-off.