Shaw inspires Blueboys to Chairty Shield final
- Credit: Archant
Greg Shaw put in a man of the match performance to send London Colney into the final of the Herts Charity Shield.
The captain scored the Blueboys’ first goal and inadvertently set up the third in a 3-1 win over Berkhamsted at Broadwater. The will meet Hertford Town in the final at the County Ground in Letchworth. The date has yet to be announced.
If they can play like they did on Tuesday, then Hertford may not be able to stem the tide of goals that Colney can, and, more often than not, have, scored in recent weeks. This was a performance of free-flowing football and Shaw was its architect.
It took 25 minutes of end-to-end action to finally yield and goal and it was Shaw who scored it. New signing Stef Geraldes has had a big impact since signing at it was his curling delivery which Shaw headed past Carl Tasker.
Berkhamsted levelled the score early in the second half through Steve Hawes but this was to be Colney’s night, and everyone at Broadwater knew it. It was only a matter of time before the Blueboys re-took the lead and Russell Gallagher obliged in the 67th minute. Geraldes was once again happy to play second fiddle as he beat two players and whipped in a perfect ball for Gallgher to head home.
You may also want to watch:
It felt like the game was over but in football, and especially against Berkhamsted, who have a history of beating Colney, nothing is certain, which made the third goal all important. Geraldes was unlucky not to complete a hat-trick of assist as Shaw headed his deilvery against the bar. However, James Ewington, fresh off his hat-trick against Harefield United on Saturday, was on hand to prod home the rebound and ensure the Blueboys’ place in the final.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters