Shaw inspires Blueboys to Chairty Shield final
- Credit: Archant
Greg Shaw put in a man of the match performance to send London Colney into the final of the Herts Charity Shield.
The captain scored the Blueboys’ first goal and inadvertently set up the third in a 3-1 win over Berkhamsted at Broadwater. The will meet Hertford Town in the final at the County Ground in Letchworth. The date has yet to be announced.
If they can play like they did on Tuesday, then Hertford may not be able to stem the tide of goals that Colney can, and, more often than not, have, scored in recent weeks. This was a performance of free-flowing football and Shaw was its architect.
It took 25 minutes of end-to-end action to finally yield and goal and it was Shaw who scored it. New signing Stef Geraldes has had a big impact since signing at it was his curling delivery which Shaw headed past Carl Tasker.
Berkhamsted levelled the score early in the second half through Steve Hawes but this was to be Colney’s night, and everyone at Broadwater knew it. It was only a matter of time before the Blueboys re-took the lead and Russell Gallagher obliged in the 67th minute. Geraldes was once again happy to play second fiddle as he beat two players and whipped in a perfect ball for Gallgher to head home.
You may also want to watch:
It felt like the game was over but in football, and especially against Berkhamsted, who have a history of beating Colney, nothing is certain, which made the third goal all important. Geraldes was unlucky not to complete a hat-trick of assist as Shaw headed his deilvery against the bar. However, James Ewington, fresh off his hat-trick against Harefield United on Saturday, was on hand to prod home the rebound and ensure the Blueboys’ place in the final.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans