Shanahan wants more physicality from his players after third successive loss
- Credit: Archant
Old Albanian player-coach James Shanahan had some stark words for his players after the defeat to Chinnor – show some heart and soul.
Speaking straight after Saturday’s defeat, which was the club’s third successive loss, Shanahan was in no mood to hunt for the positives.
He said: “We were awful. We lost every collision.
“I just felt physically we were poor, our accuracy was poor.
“We’ve done a lot of work around the breakdown. When you’re on the front foot, rugby looks easy. But when you’re on the back foot you need to show some physicality and some heart and I don’t think we showed any of that.
You may also want to watch:
“In the first half playing into a strong wind we made two or three line breaks with two against one’s to finish and didn’t convert any of them. That really hurt us.
“Chinnor controlled the game really well in the second-half. They went with one out-runner’s and we didn’t stop them, which kept them on the front foot.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
“And then when we had it, we just panicked. Two intercept passes is just criminal.”
Albanian’s poor run has seen them slip from being five points clear at the top to just five points ahead of third-placed Bishop’s Stortford.
And Shanahan says if his team aren’t worried, they should be.
“We shouldn’t worry about promotion,” he said. “We’ve lost three games on the bounce and we need to worry about winning games and getting a play-off spot because the way we are playing we could end up third or fourth.
“We need to sort ourselves out and quickly.”