Shanahan wants more physicality from his players after third successive loss
- Credit: Archant
Old Albanian player-coach James Shanahan had some stark words for his players after the defeat to Chinnor – show some heart and soul.
Speaking straight after Saturday’s defeat, which was the club’s third successive loss, Shanahan was in no mood to hunt for the positives.
He said: “We were awful. We lost every collision.
“I just felt physically we were poor, our accuracy was poor.
“We’ve done a lot of work around the breakdown. When you’re on the front foot, rugby looks easy. But when you’re on the back foot you need to show some physicality and some heart and I don’t think we showed any of that.
You may also want to watch:
“In the first half playing into a strong wind we made two or three line breaks with two against one’s to finish and didn’t convert any of them. That really hurt us.
“Chinnor controlled the game really well in the second-half. They went with one out-runner’s and we didn’t stop them, which kept them on the front foot.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
“And then when we had it, we just panicked. Two intercept passes is just criminal.”
Albanian’s poor run has seen them slip from being five points clear at the top to just five points ahead of third-placed Bishop’s Stortford.
And Shanahan says if his team aren’t worried, they should be.
“We shouldn’t worry about promotion,” he said. “We’ve lost three games on the bounce and we need to worry about winning games and getting a play-off spot because the way we are playing we could end up third or fourth.
“We need to sort ourselves out and quickly.”