Shanahan takes positives from Bedford outing
- Credit: Archant
James Shanahan, the Old Albanian head coach, says he can take a lot of positives from Saturday’s round robin tournament at Bedford Blues.
In OA’s first taste of pre-season action, they lost to their Championship hosts before beating Ampthill Town, one of the teams to replace them in National League One following last season’s relegation.
Shanahan casted his eye over 25 players in the two 40-minute games and was really pleased with what he saw.
“It was a good test,” he said. “I can take a lot from it. We attacked really well and created opportunities and our set piece was very good – in the first game we were 100 per cent in our lineout and the scrum was good.
“There were a few defensive lapses and Bedford hurts us from them. It’s pre-season so we were a bit rusty.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We made 10 changes for the second game against Ampthill and all of them stepped up and did really well.”
OAs were without Sam Lunnon, Ollie Marchon and the loan players from Saracens, so the squad will get stronger going into this weekend’s friendly against Richmond, another National League One side, at Woollams.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
“We always have good games against Richmond,” said Shanahan.
“They came up to National League One at the same time was we did. We always have tight, well contested games against them and, even though it’s only pre-season, I expect Saturday to be the same.”