Shanahan returns to Old Albanian
- Credit: David Buxton
James Shanahan is back at Old Albanian as the club looks to escape relegation from National League One.
A former OA head coach, Shanahan has returned to assist head coach Andy Holloway for the remaining two games of the season, against Darlington Mowden Park and Tynedale.
Shanhan left the club after the 2012/13 season, his last game coming against Tynedale, to take the head coach position at Championship side Plymouth Albion. That relationship ended last month after his contract was mutually terminated.
He led Plymouth to an eighth-placed finish in his first season in charge but suffered a second-year slump as they won just three games and sit seven points adrift at the foot of the table with three games remaining.
Shanahan’s return is a huge boost for OAs where he is revered as an excellent player and coach.
A club spokesman said: “Negotiations are almost complete in the club’s bid to once more secure the services of the highly regarded Shanners, who was mostly responsible for Albanians getting to National League One. It is believed that an understanding has been reached between both parties and only a few minor details stand in the way of what will be a most popular return.
You may also want to watch:
“His two year’s experience in The Championship and at England Counties level are seen as crucial to an Albanian resurgence whether the club remains in this League or has to start another promotion charge next season.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 9 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire