Shadbolt bags a spot at The Open Championship
Brocket Hall golfers qualifies for The Open
GOLF: FORMER Sir John Lawes pupil Tom Shadbolt will take his place in The Open Championship 2011 after securing progress from the qualifying rounds last week.
Shadbolt joined fellow Herts players Mark Laskey and Tom Lewis in qualifying for the event which is being held at Royal St George’s Golf Course from Sunday for a week.
Shadbolt competed in the qualifying event around Prince’s Golf Club with the Brocket Hall golfer enjoying rounds of 66 and 73 to finish five under par taking joint second place with Prince’s own Francis McGuirk who also shot 139.
Of his qualification Shadbolt said: “It’s great, I have been playing well for a while and thought that something would happen for me.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s my first major, it’s going to be great, words could not describe the feeling when I qualified. My dad was on the bag and he and my mum are over the moon. I just have to go there and treat it just like any other tournament.”
Speaking of the success he and his fellow Herts golfers have had, Shadbolt added: “It’s great for Hertfordshire and England that we have all qualified.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 8 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 9 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 10 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
“It’s weird how three players from the same area have all qualified especially as there were only 12 places to play for.”