Seven points from three games puts Town top
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town have had a storming start to the season with seven points from three games in eight days to top their league.
On Saturday (Aug 16) they beat table topping Risborough Rangers 2-1 at home after scoring a stomping victory away on the previous Wednesday against Southall 0-3.
The victories have taken them to the top of the Spartan South Midlands League Division One.
Only two weeks ago manager Danny Plumb told the Herts Ad that he wanted a top six place by Christmas and his team seems well placed to achiebe that aim.
“It has been a great start but I am still feeling a bit frustrated because there are quite a few things we have not got right so there is work to be done,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“But that in itself is encouraging because we know we can improve.”
On Saturday against Risborough, Harpenden started strongly with a goal in 14 minutes from Aiden Graves on his debut for the club.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
Left back Graves continued to have a great game with strong runs up the wing supported up front by Simon White on the left of midfield.
A thumping volley from Will Barnard from a free kick on the edge of the box brought Risborough level after 28 minutes.
Town continued to have the best of the game which paid off in the second half.
A long ball to striker Harry Hunt was skilfully headed down and picked up by Simon White on the left who powered into the box and blasted a great shot into the roof of the net to give Harpenden a 2-1 lead.
Finally on 80 minutes Risborough keeper Steve Clark made a good save from White on the wing leaving the final score 2-1 to Harpenden and taking them to the top of the league on Saturday night.
Earlier in the week Harpenden overpowered Southall 3-0 despite missing a penalty in the first half. Nick Elliot scored first straight from a great free kick with Ben Dawes and Harry Hunt also hitting the target.
Harpenden are at home to Amersham Town at Rothamsted Park on Saturday (August 23), 3pm kick-off.