Second spot for Under 18s
THE Under 18s returned with the runners-up prize from a trip to Rotterdam to play in the Hion International Tournament. Teams from Holland, Belgium and the United Kingdom competed for the Titus Hamberg Trophy. The young City Youth squad
THE Under 18s returned with the runners-up prize from a trip to Rotterdam to play in the Hion International Tournament.
Teams from Holland, Belgium and the United Kingdom competed for the Titus Hamberg Trophy. The young City Youth squad was made up mainly of players aged 17 who can return next year.
In the group stage, Aaron Lumsdon and James Rosson scored and an own goal completed a fine 3-0 opening win against VV Lyra. In the second match, Harold Chodeva converted a penalty and James Manfre also netted to seal a 2-1 win against VV Groeneweg. In the final group match, the Saints lost 1-0 to RSV Hion but had done enough to secure their semi-final berth.
Wippolder were the opposition in the last four and two goals from Aaron Lumsdon and strikes from Arron Shaw and James Manfre sealed a 4-0 win and a final spot. Manfre also netted in the showpiece final but, after City Youth goalkeeper Matt Bennett made a spectacular save, Dutch side RSV Hion netted a controversial equaliser and went on to win 2-1. After the final, manager Chris Mawhood said: "I am proud of every player on the tour, each and everyone one of them gave everything and they carried the flag for St Albans. They are an amazing bunch of lads."
You may also want to watch:
Reece May was named Player of the Tournament by the Dutch organisers for his consistently impressive displays.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 9 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 10 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common