Second half try deluge undoes Tabard

Colchester run in seven tries to defeat Cobden Hill side

London 1 North

Colchester 51 Tabard 5

FOR virtually all the first half Tabard were on top against Colchester on Saturday with some excellent flowing rugby being played and Tabard scoring a superb try.

However, Colchester were a young and very fit side and eventually found their feet, to show why they are hoping for promotion this year, by running in seven tries and defeating Tabard by 51 points to five.

Tabard had a new half back pairing of Harry Gough at scrum-half and Chris Van der Vlugt at stand-off and these two sparked an opening period of great running rugby, as the Tabard threequarters showed what they were capable of, especially as the forwards were giving them great possession from both the loose and set piece play.

It was only five minutes into the game that Tabard’s score came. From a line out the ball was committed in the middle of the field, re-cycled quickly and full-back Neil Hopcroft came into the line to take the ball at pace and side step through the cover for a great try.

Most Read

Despite a penalty for Colchester from stand-off Withers, the game continued in this vein with Tabard mounting several similar attacks with Hopcroft coming close again and wing Matty Roberts also finding himself pulled down just short.

Then, as the half was moving into injury time, Colchester winger Vine showed his attacking flair with two quick tries, converted by Withers, so that Tabard suddenly found themselves turning round 17-5 down.

The second half belonged to Colchester. Within two minutes Vine had scored again for his hat-trick with Withers converting. The game then settled down with Tabard still showing some flair and also, more importantly, keeping their defence as sound as possible with centre Joe Cunningham putting in some really hard tackles but Colchester were just too strong.

For a while Tabard held on and Colchester were restricted to another penalty but as the game moved into the final quarter the try deluge came.

Withers scored one from a short penalty, then wing Brambley went over from an interception when Tabard were attacking hard. This was followed by one from centre Irvine after Colchester created the extra man with Withers converting both these tries.

The final score came from Vine who touched down for his fourth try to complete Tabard’s defeat.

Next week there is no game for Tabard, the next game being a home tie with Old Colfeians on November 6.

Tabard: Hopcroft, Roberts, Cunningham, Edwards, Davis, Van der Vlugt, Gough, Lake B. Hart, Lake W. O’Connor, Miller (Stoba 48m), Hall, Stingu and Kidd (Dare 65m).

Other Result: Tabard II 76 Old Grammarians 6 in the Merit Table.