Seabrook scoops University’s top coaching award
- Credit: Archant
Doug Seabrook has won the 2014/15 Coach of the Year award at Athletics Union’s University of Hertfordshire sports awards.
Seabrook, who is also the coach at nearby Marshalswick Judo Club, founded the University’s judo club in 2011 in conjunction with the Herts Sports Partnership. Since its creation, the club has gone from strength to strength.
“It started off with 22 people coming to the very first session,” recalled Seabrook. “Now we do a big introduction with all the new fresher’s each year, and show them what judo is all about. We’ve done a good job in integrating the new members into the club with the older students, so there is a lot of continuity and encouragement with new players coming through.
“It’s a really thriving club.”
Seabrook, who has been involved in the sport for 36 years, also paid tribute to his judoka and the support of assistant coach David Down. “There is a great atmosphere at the club. They are all really enthusiastic and are a pleasure to coach.
You may also want to watch:
British Judo’s eastern area service manager Laurence Kenyon added: “I am delighted that Doug has been recognised for the work he has done and how he has developed the club and its members. He was up against some of the bigger sports at the university so he will be really pleased to have won the award. He has fostered some really good links between the university and Marshalswick Judo clubs, where the students do additional sessions on a regular basis.”
This was the sixth edition of the annual event run by the university’s Athletic Union. There were over 300 guests in attendance including university vice-chancellor Quintin McKellar and director of sport Nick Brecon.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly